Friday, October 7, 2011

My 24 Hour Challenge

So, a recent small but meaningful argument with the husband regarding Facebook, as well as a total procrastination breakdown when I need to be my most efficient, has got me really thinking about how technology has taken over our lives.  Do we need to check our email/facebook at every stop light?  What will happen if we don't?

I then started to think about the proverbial "epidemic" of attention disorders and learning disabilities that are plaguing our society. Is it any wonder? We do not know how to just be. If there isn't something pressing our attention, we need a laptop, iPad, smart phone, computer, or game console at our disposal now to fill the void, even if said void is a mere minute.

I noticed the effects of ignoring this pull towards constant stimulation when we gave up TV over a year ago. At first I felt as if I was detoxing from a drug. I was cranky, having mood swings, and I didn't know what to do with myself.  However, now, I do not want TV back. We watch movies together, or watch the occasional Hulu show, but even then we feel like we've wasted time.  I like living my life, not watching someone else's on TV.

Multi-tasking has become the new vogue character trait, and it has come at the expense of actually being able to focus on anything.  I often get frustrated because my mind wanders during my yoga practice or when I actually try to sit and meditate.

MY MONKEY MIND!

But, is it any wonder? I have not trained my mind to be still or to focus on one thing at a time.  If my mind is not juggling more than one idea and task, it does not know what to do with itself.  We need to stop and train our minds to settle.

It is in that spirit that I have chosen to undertake a 24 hour challenge-- tomorrow, Saturday, October 8 2011-- I will not utilize email, Facebook, Blogger, Twitter, etc. I will carry my phone with me for telephone emergency purposes only. That's it.

I already have a plethora of plans that involve everything but sitting and wasting time trolling social media outlets.  Yoga workshops, time with family, husband fun.  I am going to spend tomorrow enjoying my life and the people in it.

I'll check back in on Sunday. But, you know what? I bet I'll survive. Would you? Could you? Challenge yourself!!

Have a great Saturday, everyone!  ~Namaste~

No comments:

Post a Comment